Monday, 18 January 2010

Drugs, DOH!

I woke up this morning and ordered a taxi to come pick me up for my 11am physiotherapy appointment. I rolled out of bed, hobbled to my phone and called the taxi company to book my cab to come pick me up at 10.15am . I then rushed desperately (the term "rush" is a relative term for me nowadays) to wash up, change and eat some cereal so I could top-up on my pain meds. Managed to do all this in 20 minutes before my taxi was due to arrive.

I then hobbled out of my apartment to the roadside and waited..and waited..and waited. Waited for 10 minutes and the cab never arrived. So I called the cab company up and asked what was happening:

Me: Hi, I ordered a taxi for 10.15am. It hasnt arrived yet - I was wondering whether it was on its way?

Cab Company Lady: Ummm, you actually ordered the taxi for 11.15am?

Right, I'm sure Confucius at some point philosophised that one needs to give the correct timing to the taxi company to ensure a prompt pick-up no? So the taxi eventually came to pick me up at 10.35am. I arrived at 11.15am, which left me a grand total of 15 minutes with the physio. This meant that these 15 minutes cost me the princely sum of 108 pounds, including taxi fare! Yikes - I swear there is a very strong inverse correlation between the swelling of my left leg and the size of my bank account at the moment...

As I hobbled into the examination room, completely drugged up and blur, Ciaran (my physio) took one look at me and said "And this is why you were given time off work". Heh! As soon as I hoisted myself up onto the table, I then realised that I had unwittingly put on a pair of odd socks - one black and one blue. Sigh. And for my next stoned incident at the physio, I proudly told Ciaran that I had an appointment scheduled with my surgeon on Wednesday, to which he looked at me with a very puzzled expression on his face and said "Are you sure? That sounds a bit too soon". So he calls the nurse on my behalf and is promptly told that my appointment is scheduled for next Friday instead. Sigh, why on earth do these nurses try and schedule appointments for me when I am under the influence of narcotics??!! It was never ever going to properly get through to me!

So the good news is that my movement and strength in the leg seem to be good. Only thing is that I have a numbness in the lower part of my leg, which is probably a result of a nerve having been accidentally clipped during surgery. Apparently, the numbness may or may not go away - oh well, its more like an irritation rather than a disability. Small price to pay.

After physio, I managed to hobble very slowly to St John's Wood High Street, where I decided to take in the St John's Wood air and have lunch at Cafe Rouge.



I found a table by the window and watched a lady try to parallel park her Porsche...really badly. After all that effort, her car was parked so far forward that her bonnet was almost touching the car in front of her. If my leg wasnt injured, I probably would have rushed out to offer to park the car for her - thats how frustrated I felt on her behalf. Its a shame when people drive such nice cars, and are unable to properly drive / park them. A bit like the rich kid in school who had the latest Air Jordan sneakers, but couldnt play basketball to save his life. Anyway, take a look at the car and her bad parking for yourself - the car should be half a metre further back... =)


OK, excitement over and after the woman parked her car, I ordered a salmon pasta for lunch. As soon as I gave my order, I thought to myself "Why the hell am I ordering pasta at a French cafe chain?" Its like going to Mcdonalds for breakfast and ordering Chinese porridge (Did any of you try the Chicken porridge that McDs were serving in Singapore a number of years ago for breakfast? It surprisingly wasnt that bad!). My only consolation was that there was Gruyere cheese melted on top of the pasta. Actually, come to think of it, Gruyere is actually a Swiss cheese, so the cheese fails in the nationality stakes as well. Never mind, at least it was tasty....


My cab driver came to pick me up after that and I spent the afternoon chatting (coherently enough, I hope) with people back home. So all in all, that was my day. Pretty foggy and drugged up. I actually sent out a fairly technical email to my boss at 7am this morning - I really hope that it made sense, and that I didn't ask him to invest in glass sliding doors with peepholes or something. Im pretty sure that I added a disclaimer that I was under the influence of drugs, so I should be covered! My previous life in law does come in handy sometimes....


No comments: